Database and Reporting Assistant (Closing Date: December 20-17)Company: University of Manitoba
Date Posted: November 24, 2017
External Relations secures funding, talent and advocacy for the university by delivering an integrated program of communication and engagement. Through this, the university inspires deep and long-term relationships with alumni, key stakeholders and potential partners to build bigger futures for students and the community. These relationships drive the university’s success as a global leader in teaching, learning, research and community engagement.
External Relations consists of the Office of the Vice-President (External), Government Relations, Marketing Communications, Donor Relations and Outreach & Engagement.
The Donor Relations department supports the University of Manitoba in fulfilling its academic, research and institutional aspirations by securing funding from corporations, foundations, faculty, staff, students, alumni and individual donors.
As a member of the Advancement Services team, the Database and Reporting Assistant implements as well as develops processes and procedures required for the successful generation of a timely and accurate reports and data files ensuring that business needs are met in an efficient and customer oriented manner for Donor Relations, External Relations and the rest of the University community.
S/he extracts data, and develops and delivers reports or data files using a variety of methods and identifies areas to improve operational efficiency.
The position also acts as a resource to other staff in the use of business related software, including the alumni/ advancement database, Raiser’s Edge.
S/he possess an advanced knowledge of the alumni/advancement database, including where data is entered and how, the resulting methods for extracting data and the desired data output for a particular business need. Also maintains a working knowledge of related data in other University systems.
- Produce a variety of standard, scheduled reports and one-time reports on alumni and giving data in the Raiser’s Edge.
- Work with large data sets from multiple sources to prepare data extracts and reports for various uses.
- Design, maintain and generate descriptive, statistical and financial reports using intermediate level programming in MS Access and Crystal Reports.
- Create advanced templates, macros and pivot tables in MS Excel including complex formulas.
- Verify accuracy of reports and resolve any issues or errors which may include reworking the report, issues with the software or data checking.
- Communicate with internal University stakeholders to discuss, analyse, and understand requests for data from the Alumni/Advancement database.
- Maintain an advanced knowledge of where and how data is stored and how it is entered into and extracted from the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Responsible for routine imports and exports and reports, and for global updates and corrections to subsets of data in Raiser’s Edge as directed.
- Update, maintain and where required create procedure documentation
- Provide training on the Raiser’s Edge. Act as a resource to other External Relations staff with advancement applications (Raiser’s Edge, Banner Document Manager, etc.)
- Provide general support and other database assistance as needed.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Formal training program in related field from a recognized institution. An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Must have at least three years’ experience accurately manipulating large data sets from complex relational databases, and three years’ experience generating reports, including using query tools for criteria selection. Experience with Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge in particular is preferred.
- Training and/or experience in MS Access required.
- Advanced training and/or experience in MS Excel required.
- Experience with Crystal Reports, Tableau or similar report writing tools would be considered an asset.
- Experience in non-profit environments, particularly post-secondary educational institutions would be an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have strong analytical and logical and methodical problem solving skills.
- Must be highly organized and capable of performing complex processes as well as continually re-evaluate priorities in a hectic office environment.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in order to communicate with a variety of users and report or data set requestors.
Please apply through the University of Manitoba website: